Ayam sap-sap is a traditional competition held by the Pasar Putih coastal community of Situbondo Regency, East Java. This competition is unique because it requires a chicken to FLY from a boat out at sea toward the mainland. This is the contest's unique property. The one that flies the farthest is the winner. The origin of this competition is not clear. Some said that there was a similar competition held in Kangean Island near Madura. However, it is also said that it comes from the traditional culture of sedekah bumi (a thanksgiving ceremony for the earth). This competition was previously held on religious days and national days, such as Indonesian Independence Day.
I think this is a cool competition. That's because chickens fly in this competition. I have never seen chickens fly before and I really want to see it. I think it will be cool and funny, too since I've never seen chickens fly before. :-)
Questions:
1. Why do you think the Ayam sap-sap competition was done?
2. What do you think about this competition?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ayam sap-sap?
Just now I hear that sentence. That sentence is really weird for us, but not for the other prople there.
Answer:
1.Ayam sap-sap was done. Maybe that's because people thought if that activity is bad, so thay stop tha Ayam sap-sap.
2. According to my opinion ayam sap-sap is bad and also good. The good one, it can gives so many people fun. But the bad one, it can causes the cocks or hens die.
Thank you...
from EP...
Hello,
I enjoyed readng your posting. The title is a lot of fun, you would think it was Superman and not Situbondo Chicken!
I didn't know anything about Ayam sap-sap so thank you for adding to my knowledge.
Ernesto says that the chickens die in the competition. Is that a fact? If it is, then, I would be concerned because it might be cruel to the birds. But if the chickens just have to fly a little, then, I think it is okay.
In answer to your question about the reasons for the competition, I have no clue but as you explain, it must have been some kind of celebration. Human beings like to have contests in conjunction with celebrations so that seems a good reason for the competition.
Could it also be that the coastal community of Situbondo is known for the quality of its chickens and the competiton was one way of proving who had the best chicken?
Chickens, as you mention, are not good flyers. Probably that is one of the reasons they were domesticated. They simply couldn't escape their human captors in the same way other birds could, like eagles, hawks, or other wild birds.
Actually, we might want to do some research on the reason chickens cannot fly very well. is it because of wing structure? Was wing structure modified by evolution? Just like human beings lost their tail once they were not anymore arboreal creatures and didn't need to swing from tree to tree?
By the way, is the competition still held on Indonesian Independence Day or another day?
MLC Anchor
Cool n interesting article pao.. haha
My answers:
1. Ayam sap-sap was done maybe because they wanted to try something new and fresh and that people never tried before.
2. I think that it is a funny and fresh idea.. Although i have never heard of chickens flying because they cant fly for sure! If suddenly the chickens fell, poor them!
WS
Post a Comment